Wednesday, February 02, 2005

bits n' bites

On Love,

The most passionate love song I have ever encountered is one called “Be Mine” by R.E.M. It is a very simple song but (by that principal alone) exudes extraordinary feeling. It takes you from the beginning of life in love, through the trials and tribulations of life lived as one, through to our final course in life, death.

I never thought of this as funny
It speaks another world to me
I want to be your easter bunny
I want to be your christmas tree
I’ll strip the world that you must live in
Of all it’s godforsaken greed
I’ll ply the tar out of your feathers
I’ll pluck the thorns out of your feet
You and me
You and me
You and me
And if I choose your sanctuary
I’ll want to wash you with my hair
I’ll want to drink of sacred fountains
And find the riches hidden there
I’ll eat the lotus and peyote
I’ll want to hear the caged-bird sing
I’ll want the secrets of the temple
I’ll want the finger with the ring
You and me
You and me
You and me
And if you make me your religion
I’ll give you all you will need
I’ll be the drawing of your breath
I’ll be the cup if you should bleed
I’ll be the sky above the ganges
I’ll be the vast and stormy sea
I’ll be the lights that guide you inland
I’ll be the visions you will see
Visions you will see
You will see
You will see
You and me

- REM



In consideration of the Iliad, and our previous discussions concerning epic poetry, I continued to think (a little abstractly) about love, the condition and theme of it all as being a thread which weaves it’s way through most all poetry. Love is found in the making of a poem, if not all together evident in the poem itself, it can be found in the passion of the poet which by this vehical, lends to his creation. Passionate, highly descriptive and strong, articulate phrases add character and tone to a poem. These grammatical elements acsentuate and are highly representative of the poets determination, or love.
Love is often distinct in its in-distinction.

As a side-note…

I’ve been thinking about love and music. My first thought, off the top of my head, was that, as poetry has dramatically changed over time, as has music changed, evidently so have the ways in which we express love.

Typical of written material and especially material meant for oral composition, as poetry often is, I was considering the “epic” music of the earlier centuries as compared to the poetry of those times…were they representative of each other?

Yes poetry was rich and expressive and complex but was music just as expressive?

I am not considering the great composers (Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven). I am considering prior to 1200c with the emergence of baroque-type music. Music which was popular and contrasted the literature of the time, as it was quite simplistic in nature and detail.

Not unlike today? Where simple “pop-like” lyrics dominate. Simple songs of a simple nature, with little detail, with little to no depth in context, rule. Simplicity dominates the popular vote. Not unlike today, as poetry does not receive the popular vote.


Simple…easy…mindless…

These are valuable assets.

Anyone want to pick-up on what I’m putting down?

The Ingrediants:

Ween-out the sense of it all,
Add a little glam,
Ten minutes or less,
You have a top ten plan.

The method:

Turn your mind off,
There’s no time to think,
If you want to make it big,
You’ve gotta have what it takes,
A gimic.

Gone are the days,
Of taking your time,
Enjoying eachother,
A piece of work, a good rhyme,
We just can’t seem to wait,
To re-create another fake.

Thus, an unfinished thought.

Quite fitting.

No comments: