Thursday, February 03, 2005

Side Note,

Another thought on love and music…

I was thinking about the concept of the oral tradition and the importance of “hearing” literature as opposed a conventional (or a more modern way) of reading literature.

Something just occurred to me: music.

Although it’s simple enough to understand on its own, the impact of the Oral tradition didn’t really hit home until I thought about “new music”. By vocalizing literature you gain the power to manipulate a text just by the way you pronounce key parts, and, that by doing this you can bring a new meaning to the text, context, or subtext, each time.

In relation to new music, more often than not, the written work (I'm refering to compositions, songs) have potential to be garbage as far as anything near intellectual, insightful, or revolutionary is concerned. A result of "pop-like" materialisim which sells aesthetic promises instead of real value or worth...

I’m generalizing...

But I’m going with this unfinished thought; trying to make a point…a point which came to me loud and clear when I payed close attention to a song I fully enjoy, and realized there is little to no substance at all…and being one to appreciate music on various levels, I found it both hilarious and insulting.

I jam to this song.
I love this (great) song.
I need a new word for this song.

It’s called:

“We Haven’t Turned Around Yet” - Gomez

We came, we came, we came again
To stem the tide and point the blame
Came back from more
Came back to see what you had in store
Everyone join the line, everyone
Yeah
So you wanna spin the world around?
So you wanna spin the world around?
And anybody else, cut ’em down
So you wanna make catastrophe?
Won’t you send it right over to me
I got some time
Everybody running high
The same, the same, the same again
To steal the time and haunt the graves
Just because it’s there
Don’t mean you see it anywhere
Maybe it’s a trick of the light
Maybe, yeah
So you wanna spin the world around?
So you wanna spin the world around?
And anybody else, cut ’em down
So you wanna make catastrophe?
Don’t you send it right over to me
I got some timeEverybody come alive
Yeah
So you wanna spin the world around?
So you wanna spin the world around?
And anybody else, cut ’em down
So you wanna make catastrophe?
Don’t you send it right over to me
I got some timeEverybody running high
So you wanna spin the world around?
So you wanna spin the world around?
And anybody else, cut ’em down
So you say we haven’t turned around?
So you say we haven’t turned around?
Just everybody else is going wrong
Going wrong

The matter is simple. Before you can fully understand what I mean by any of this, you must HEAR this song. It exudes feeling. It is an incredible song at face value and it makes you feel profound just standing alone- a mess of yourself- there, in your living room, and it invokes emotion in you, it inspires you, it makes you feel…lovely.

And then you read the lyrics…and you feel tricked, or maybe you feel ridiculous, or maybe you still feel the same, only…

You really ‘get it’ now.

I feel this song is a perfect example and alludes to the fact that the “oral tradition” really is more than what we take it for, at first. Sure we all “get” the concept…but you don’t really “get it” until it affects you on your own, personal level with your select choice of material.

It’s worth checking out…hearing those lyrics and reading those lyrics…really are night and day.

So what gives it essence? The sound, the tone, the “accidental” grammatical features, it’s cohesiveness: it’s lexicality in repetition and metaphor. Maybe?

Which leads me into another thought that, beauty if found in the most simple of things…

...and this song as beautiful as it is simple, leaves me confused and appreciative, because I can value its worth in terms of a discovered feeling, found, in accidental simplicity.

(It pissed me off) I was sure it was deep...

Just a rant.

No comments: